February 16, 2007

Week Two Under my Belt


#1. At least one meatless meal per week. Doing well so far.
#2. Not buying paper napkins ever again. I have not purchased paper napkins, but I didn't find any cloth ones that I wanted to buy, so the search continues. I asked my local fabric store if they carry any organic fabric and they do not. I have looked at earth friendly napkins online, but they are expensive. I have looked at cloth napkins in stores and they smelled so chemically! I didn't want to buy them. So the search continues.
#3. This week's new habit is to wash out and reuse milk bags. We did this when I was a kid at home. We used them as freezer bags for the veggies from our garden. I have done it from time to time, but always got out of the habit quickly. I washed one out this morning!
I have been doing a lot of reading online about eco/green/earth friendly/organic/local/etc. I am getting lots of ideas for future habit changes

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Okay, you gotta enlighten me: What are milk bags? ... Glad you're learning and sharing on this. I'm ignorant.

Anonymous said...

RE napkins: Do you any 2nd hand stores in your area? I prowled the ones in my area until I found some old napkins. Quarter a piece for 12 linen damask!!! napkins. First wash included bleach. They've worn well.

Melissa said...

Jenny, type milk bags in google image search and you will see what they are. Here in Canada, milk is sold in bags! We have a little pitcher that we put the bag in, cut the corner off the bag, and pour! We can also buy milk in cartons and plastic jugs, but bags are most popular. I think I will have to make a post about this!

Bonita, thanks for the idea. I have searched one thrift store that is accessible to me, but no lick there.

Anonymous said...

Followed a link from WFMW-- have you considered using dish towels as napkins for day to day use? They're usually cheaper and more absorbent than napkins.