June 20, 2006

Where I Am From

I am from dusty poetry books,
from The Hobbit and pick-up-sticks.
I am from cedar shakes, nudes in the bathroom,
from willow trees and supper in the sun porch.
I am from stewed rhubarb, and the strawberry patch in June.
I am from euchre games and harvest moon boot dances, stacks of 78's,
and Rudolph flying through the night sky.
---
I am from rattle snakes on the Bruce Trail,
and questions answered with a question.
From used book stores and train stations and bird watchers.
I am from Boiler Beach and bagpipes,
rabbit paprikash, raspberry jello and caesar salad.
From a meat stealing grandpa, Aunt Ada's main course dessert,
and matching polyester dresses.
---
I am from treks through the cemetery, squished pennies,
and stone wall building.
I am from biting chipmunks, blue dragonflies,
flying hamsters and yellow Fiats.
I am from auctions, butcher blocks and Tuesday chip nights.
I am from love.
I am from the hands of my Creator.

No comments: